Peace, one and all…
The practical application of my own Islam has led me to become involved in the emerging field of Muslim Chaplaincy. To this end, during the course of 2007, I completed the Muslim Chaplaincy training course at the Markfield Institute of Higher Education. As this is a newly emerging area of reflection and practice for Muslims, there are few resources available online as yet. This page aims to help address this shortfall by providing links to a wide range of useful organisations and individuals involved in chaplaincy (both within and beyond the Muslim community).
I am also currently preparing a downloadable muslim-chaplaincy-bibliography.
- Association of Muslim Chaplains in Education
- Inspire: A project set up to help Muslim youth in inner city areas to reach their full potential.
- FOSIS: the Federation of Student Islamic Societies
- Muslim Burial Council of Leicestershire: A very forward thinking organisation, which provides advice and practical assistance on all matters relating to Islamic funerary practices.
- Muslim Chaplains Association
- Muslim Student Trust: offers Muslim student accommodation
- Muslim Youth Helpline
- Muslim Youth Skills
- Nafas Drugs Project: A faith-based drug rehabilitation service.
- Love & Ettiquette Foundation
- Hakim Archuletta
- Campus Salam
- ISSA Wales
- ISSA USA
- Islamic Social Services Association
- Muslim Social Services at Soundvision
- Muslim Social Services at KW
Research into Muslim Chaplaincy
Muslim Chaplains’ Blogs
UK Chaplaincy Organisations
- Futures Unlocked: A newly established community chaplaincy project, that aims to focus on helping ex-offenders readjust to the world outside of prison.
- Multi-faith Group for Hospital Chaplaincy: A multi-faith group dedicated to hospital chaplaincy
- European Network of Healthcare Chaplains: Europe wide information on healthcare chaplaincy
- The College of Healthcare Chaplains
Higher Education Chaplaincies
The links in this section will take you to the home pages of the various university chaplaincies of the UK and Ireland.
- Abertay Dundee
- Anglia Ruskin University
- Bangor (Anglican)
- Bangor Catholic Chaplain
- Birmingham City
- Birmingham University Mutlifaith Chaplaincy
- Bournemouth University Chaplaincy
- Brighton University
- Bristol Mutlifaith Chaplaincy
- Canterbury Christ Church
- Cheltenham & Gloucester
- City University
- Cranfield University
- De Montfort University
- Dublin City
- Glasgow Caledonian
- Heriot Watt University
- Imperial College London
- King’s College London
- Liverpool Hope
- Liverpool John Moores University
- London University
- London Metropolitan
- London School of Economics
- Napier Chaplains
- Newman University College
- North East Wales Institute of Higher Education
- Nottingham Trent
- Robert Gordon University
- St Andrews
- St Peter’s House (Manchester Universities)
- University of Bedfordshire
- University College Chichester
- University of Central Lancashire
- University of East Anglia
- University of Kent at Canterbury
- University of Northumbria at Newcastle
Overseas Chaplaincy Organisations
- The Church of England: The website for the Church of England (Anglican). The C of E is the largest provider of chaplaincy in the UK.
- NACC: National Association of Catholic Chaplains (USA)
- Purple Words on a Grey Background: the blog of Mike Peatman, a HE Chaplain
- Royal Army Chaplains’ Department: The website for the main UK army chaplaincy organisation
Chaplaincy in Other Faith Traditions
- British Druid Order: Pagan Prison Ministry
- Danny Fisher: The blog of an American Buddhist Chaplain
- Jewish Hospital Chaplaincy Services:Providing chaplaincy services to the Jewish community
- NAJC: National Association of Jewish Chaplains (USA)
- Pagan Chaplaincy: based at Sheffield University
- Quaker Chaplains
- Sikh Chaplaincy.org: A useful website offering information and links for Sikh chaplaincy
Relevant UK Government Departments
- Department for Education and Skills: The UK government department responsible for education and training.
- HM Prison Service: Responsible for overseeing UK prisons.
- HM Prison Service Chaplaincy: The central reference point for chaplaincy in UK prisons
- The Home Office: The government department responsible for almost all internal matters
- Home Office: Border & Immigration Agency: Responsible for dealing with all immigration matters
- NHS Choices: The website for the National Health Service. A useful gateway to hospital chaplaincy information.
- NHS: Islam and Organ Donation: A helpful section of a larger site on Islamic views on organ donation (with downloadable documents)
Other Useful Organisations